Hillsborough County Public Schools
- Provides for the physical care, well-being, and supervision of students with disabilities under the
- direction of the RN and teacher.
- Performs basic medical procedures according to written protocols and under supervision of an
- RN, as allowable per state statutes and district policies.
- Monitors, assesses, and begins treatment to address student medical needs/conditions, when
- needed for emergent situations (seizures, allergic reactions, respiratory arrest, etc.).
- Administers first aid and medications to students (after training) as directed by the RN.
- Maintains records of daily health service activities.
- Adheres to the daily schedule and assignments.
- Assists teacher in implementing the instructional programs of the district.
- Prepares and organizes instructional materials, as directed by the teacher.
- Participates in inservice and professional development activities.
- Follows teacher lesson plans and provides supervision of students in the absence of the teacher.
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional communication among students, staff, and
- parents, as applicable, per the direction of the instructor, as directed by the teacher.
- Assists with the duties of Paraprofessional 1 and 2 as directed by the teacher.
- Assists with the implementation of the classroom management system under the direction of the
- Assists with the implementation and use of sign language or augmented communication systems
- related to the student's communication needs as directed by the teacher.
- Implements instructional activities such as reading out loud, small group subject lessons, art
- activities, music activities, cooking, etc. as directed by the teacher.
- Is responsible for performance of light custodial duties that relate to the safety and hygiene in
- the classroom and other environments accessed by the student as directed by the teacher
- Assists students with community-based instruction and training, both on and off campus, as
- directed by the teacher.
- Supervises student behavior using positive behavior supports and interventions in the classroom,
- lunchroom, on school grounds, and at off-campus activities, as directed by the teacher.
- Participates in parent involvement activities that may include conferences as directed by the
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands.
Accepts criticism and feedback. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Cooperation: Establishes and maintains effective relations. Exhibits tact and consideration.
Displays positive outlook and pleasant manner. Offers assistance and support to co-workers.
Works cooperatively in group situations. Works actively to resolve conflicts.
- Dependability: Responds to requests for service and assistance. Follows instructions and
responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions. Meets attendance and
- Education: A high school diploma or GED. Degree or formal training in related field such as child
care, or prior experience in education preferred.
- Experience: One (1) year of increasingly responsible experience in education, child care, or
related field preferred.
- Certificates/Licenses/Registrations: Certified Nursing Assistant. Must be considered highly
qualified per the United States Department of Education and Florida's Differentiated
Accountability Model. Meet one of the following criteria: Completed requirement for an
Associate Degree or higher Q-NCLB-A, completed 60 semester hours or two years of study at
an institution of higher education- Q-NCLB-B, or passed the ParaPro Test with a score of 457
or higher - Q-NCLB-C.
- Language Skills: Reads and comprehends simple instructions, short correspondence, and
memos. Writes simple correspondence. Effectively presents information in one-on-one and
small group situations.
- Mathematical Skills: Adds and subtracts two digit numbers and multiplies and divides with 10s
and 100s. Performs these operations using units of American money and weight measurement,
volume, and distance.
- Reasoning Ability: Applies understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral
instructions. Deals with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office.
Subject to school schedule
Monday - Friday