Voted St. Louis Best Places to Work in 2016, 2018 & 2020!
Commercial HVAC Service Technician
For over 40 years, Hoffmann Brothers has served as the premier HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, and Appliance Repair service and installation contractor in the St Louis area. With an aggressive expansion campaign, we are now growing at an exciting rate facing new challenges as we transform our business and enter new geographic and service markets.
Over the last 5 years, Hoffmann has grown from a small family business of 50 employees to a 250-member multi-market organization with significant aspirations for further growth. We recognize the quality of our people enables this growth and now is your chance to join our team.
As a Commercial HVAC Service Technician, you will help our commercial clients with any problems that may arise. You will be expected to provide the best customer service possible and ongoing training will always be provided to make sure you are continuously growing in the HVAC Field.
Primarily responsible for performing repairs and maintenance to a variety of equipment including refrigeration, air conditioning, electric motors, heating units, heat pumps, compressors, light commercial furnaces, boilers, burners, intake and exhaust fans, economizers and humidifiers.
- Candidate must have a minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Understands basic refrigeration cycle to include identifying components in refrigeration circuit, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the refrigeration circuit, using manifold gauge set, pressure/temperature chart and temperature measuring devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot. Understands refrigeration recovery, evacuation and charging.
- Understands basic electrical theory, how electricity travels, AC and DC currents, single phase and three phase circuits, and series and parallel circuits. Ability to read basic wiring diagrams. Understanding of Ohms Law. Ability to use multi-meters to read voltage, current and resistance values. Must be able to troubleshoot basic electrical circuits.
- Understands the process of treating air so as to simultaneously control its temperature, humidity, and distribution. Must be able to read and understand mechanical drawings.
- Understands basic heating cycle to include identifying components in heating system, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the heating system using a gas pressure test and other devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot. Understands the theory of combustion and how it relates to combustible fuels such as gas and oil.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Check in with office for scheduled jobs after the completion of each job and at the end of each workday.
- During and or at the end of each task complete all company fully provided forms possible.
- Responsible for time management of jobs scheduled each day.
- Check in with client at the beginning and end of each task to make sure they are aware of everything going on throughout the entire visit.
- Obtain client signature on company provided forms where applicable.
- Upon completion of each task record time spent at each job on the weekly time sheet.
- Hand in paperwork, checks, or cash at the end of each week for processing.
- Ensure all materials used for each task are listed properly on the company provided forms.
- Answer all office pages/calls in a timely manner.
- Check in as needed to ensure office dispatcher and/or field supervisor are aware of your status.
- Secure parts and tools needed throughout the day for various jobs as required.
- Call in repairs to the estimator or field supervisor and provide the necessary info needed to quote the repair and fill out the appropriate quote forms as required.
- Consult field supervisor or dispatcher in times of uncertainty.
- Ability to communicate with customers in a clear, confident manner throughout the entire service so that they are aware what is going on inside their home/business.
- Ability to adjust your communications to provide the best customer experience possible.
- Ability to create detailed job notes in the customer's account for future reference.
- Ability to both teach and learn by sharing thoughts/experiences with your coworkers in meetings and in one-to-one interactions
- Willingness to try new ideas and recommend process improvements to your manager with the objective of improving efficiency/effectiveness.
- The ability to maintain a clean and organized workspace both in a customer's property and your company vehicle
- The ability to work safely and the motivation to help ensure that those you work with are working in a safe manner.
Essential Technical Skills Required:
Technician must be able to install, repair, adjust, maintain, and troubleshoot the following equipment:
- Refrigerant controls
- Ice Makers
- Reach in and Walking freezers/coolers.
- Hermetic compressors
- Heat Pumps
- Split systems
- Packaged units
- Ductless splits
- Electric Motors (3-phase and 1-phase)
- Electric motor controls (contractors, starters, relays, disconnect, thermostats, etc.)
- Commercial furnaces, boilers, burners, and related controls
- Various types of water pumps
- Intake and exhaust fans
- Unit heaters (hot water, steam and electric)
Technician must be able to proficiently perform the following tasks:
- Basic heat load calculations
- Basic heat loss calculations
This position is paid hourly, with plenty of opportunity for overtime, commissions, and bonuses throughout the year. Our company has been serving the St Louis area for well over 40 years. We offer great benefits including health, dental, & vision insurance. We have a matching 401K Retirement program, paid vacation & paid holidays. We are a family friendly company and celebrate individual & company achievements with fun events and prizes. We believe in promoting from within and there are many areas to advance in our company.
- Competitive Hourly Compensation
- Company Provided Truck/Van
- Company Provided Power Tools
- 401k Matching Program: Hoffmann Brothers will match 100% of the first 4% contributed by employee, plus an additional 4% at year end, resulting in a total of 12% (4% contributed by employee and 8% matched)
- Free Health, Dental, and Vision insurance for the employee, dependents, and spouse (if not offered insurance by current employer)
- Generous Paid Vacation
- 6 Paid holidays
- Bonus Programs
- Ample Opportunities for Overtime (Always Volunteer, Never Required)
- Paid Training
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- Year-Round Work
- Tool Replacement Policy
- Company Events
Must consider safety one's primary job, both for personal, co worker and public benefit, and must have general knowledge of safe working practices and of MO OSHA requirements.
To adequately perform the duties of this job the employee is regularly and routinely required to sit, stand, squat, kneel, walk, stoop, use hands to finger, handle controls; hear, and talk. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must be able to climb ladders, work in hot and cold environments, and work in small crawl spaces. The employee must regularly lift and/or move50lbs and up. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment can vary depending on the season and scope of work - employees are required to work outdoors throughout the seasons. The work environment will subject employees to continual interruptions and changing priorities. Effective, consistent, and constant communication with customers, vendors, co-workers, and others is required.
Hoffmann Brothers is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.