REPORTS TO: Director of Clinical Services
The After Hours Registered Nurse continuously plans, implements, and evaluates patient care, incorporating patient and family into the process, provides direct patient care, and functions as a patient advocate. Responsible for participating in the development of an interdisciplinary plan of care and ensuring the overall coordination and management of hospice services for patients and their families.
1. Assumes responsibility and accountability for the practice of professional nursing in accordance with the State Nurse Practice Act and standards for hospice nursing.
2. Performs comprehensive assessments of patient status, including physical, psychosocial, spiritual and environmental factors.
3. Uses a case management approach, referring to other services as needed.
4. Keeps physician and other personnel informed of changes in the patient's needs and outcomes of interventions.
5. Collaborates with the Interdisciplinary Team (IDT), other healthcare professionals, patients, caregivers in developing in ongoing IDT comprehensive assessments.
6. Based on the comprehensive assessment by and in coordination with the IDT, develops and evaluates Plan of Care (POC) for assigned patients with patient, family and attending physician.
7. Determines scope and frequency of services needed based on acuity and patient / family needs.
8. Documents findings, plans, interventions and interactions with patients and families in the clinical record according to policy, procedure and guidelines.
9. Demonstrates competency with nursing skills within professional standards of practice
a. Assessment skills as applied to patient, caregiver and environment.
b. Teaching skills according to the patient's needs and within the context of the patient's environment and physical/emotional status.
c. Knowledge of medications and medication administration.
10. Provides ongoing education to patients and families on plan of care interventions.
11. Observe, assess and documents symptoms of hospice patients accurately, timely and according to policy, procedures and guidelines.
12. Provides emotional support to patient and caregiver(s).
13. Meets safety needs of patient and demonstrates safe practice in the use of equipment.
14. Contributes to patient and family counseling and education.
15. Participates in on-call schedule.
16. Triages after hours phone calls promptly.
17. Delegates calls and visits as needed during high volume call times to meet the needs of the agency's patients.
18. Completes scheduled visits and phone calls as assigned.
19. Communicates after hours report to Clinical Supervisor or designee.
20. Completes on-call admissions, when assigned.
21. Participates in hospice sponsored in-service training.
22. Participates in QAPI program.
23. Performs job duties in accordance with Hospice policies, procedures, and professional and community standards, state and federal regulations.
24. Adheres to the Hospice's Code of Conduct and Compliance Program requirements.
25. Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
1. Must have a current license in the State of Hawaii as a Registered Nurse.
2. Minimum of one (1) year experience in hospice, acute care setting, nursing home or home care.
3. Hospice experience preferred.
4. Demonstrated written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
5. Reliable transportation, valid driver's license and current automobile insurance.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform successfully the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be available on holidays working an On-Call Shift.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, or balance; stoop, kneel crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.